Hypothyroidism is an illness where the thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones. Even though in some cases it could lead to cretinism, especially in children, this is a very severe form and in most cases there is treatment for it. However, since most people do not tolerate medications or going to the hospital, there are some hypothyroidism home remedies as well. Here are some of the most common.
1. Get Proteins – Proteins have many functions in your body, and among them is the hormonal transportation function. Basically they help transport the thyroidal hormones in your body. The following types of food have a high protein concentration: nuts, eggs, meat, fish and vegetables.
2. Eat plenty of fats – Although it may sound weird, fat actually acts like a catalyst and helps keep up a good hormonal balance. Of course not all fats are good. Here are some that you should consider including in your diet: yogurt, cheese, milk, olive oil, and fish.
3. Say no to gluten – Gluten can have a damaging effect on your body since it has a very similar composition as your thyroid tissue causing your body to confuse it and trigger an autoimmune attack on your thyroid. Avoid it at all costs.
4. Control your stress – Stress has been identified as a factor that causes the illness in the first place and it can also aggravate it. Stay relaxed and practice a sport or even meditate.
5. Black Walnut – This is a very useful part of the hypothyroid home remedies as it is a very good source of iodine which helps the thyroid gland. Consider including this in your daily diet plan as it will definitely have a huge impact.
6. Nettle Tea – Nettle is an herb which has a superb effect on your thyroid gland. The amazing thing about it is that it works if the gland is either hyperactive or hypoactive.
7. Get some morning sun – 15-20 min each morning in direct sunlight will help synthesize vitamin D which in term helps your thyroid work properly. Go for a 15 walk or jogging each morning.
8. Iodine supplements – Iodine is a vital element which helps the thyroid gland work well. Here are some foods that contain Iodine: bananas, fish, and all sorts of seafood, meat and eggs.
These hypothyroidism home remedies all work and have been tested. If you suffer from this illness and hate going to the doctor, try these remedies first.